Carol Roth has come up with a list of 80 terrific social media tips from social media experts around the globe.
Social Media and More is proud to be among the list of social media savvy companies that was selected for her piece.
Everything from “Tweet Some Love” to “Be a Clown” to “Giving Away Your Best Stuff'”, you’ll be fully armed with the advice to make yourself and your business a social media rockstar.
Our tip came in at #34
Landing Right on Facebook
After an inspiring week in New York at Jeff Pulver’s 140 Characters Conference, I feel more empowered than ever about the “Power of Now,” social media, and the authenticity of the friendships that have developed over the years through twitter and the real-time web.
When given the opportunity to meet people you have connected with IRL, it is a powerful gift which marries technology and friendship. It felt like I was a child at summer camp meeting new friends, bonding in a deep way, and then saying goodbye, wishing it wasn’t over.
After a gruelling trip back home to Los Angeles, I arrived feeling like a lost and weary traveler. It was at that moment, that I started humming the lyrics to the song by Elton John and Bernie Taupin entitled “Friends.” Although the song was released in 1970, it has now become my personal theme song from the 140 Conference in 2010.
Some of the highlights for me at the 140 conference (in no order of preference) included:
1. A hug from MC Hammer @MCHammer at the VIP party the eve before day 1.
2. Being on the Stage at the 92nd Street Y on day 2 with Tom Miller @TomfooleryTM from Your Tango on the 1st-ever dating panel.
4. Chatting with speaker Mo Krochmal @Krochmal about education.
5. Meeting the elegant and eloquent Ann Curry @AnnCurry.
6. Seeing @GaryVee speak again for what he said would be his last time on stage. He’s gotten tired of life on the road.
7. Meeting New York tweeps at my book signing who have appeared on my #FF list with support from Imal Wagner @ImalWagner.
8. Reconnecting IRL with Alexis Maybank @giltfounder before the fashion panel.
10. Meeting @Loehmanns and talking about my fashion tweets she saw during the Oscars.
12. Having Kelsey Grammer personally send me a tweet before his performance at La Cage Aux Folles.
13. Playing with Silly Putty from my new friends at Answers.com.
14. Cherishing the first 140 Conference yearbook as a reminder of those I met during this powerful week.
15. Knowing that the 140 Conference Meet Up in Los Angeles is on May 10th and the 140 Conference returns to LA in October.
What is the theme throughout this message? It’s about friendship – Connecting, Reconnecting, and creating memories together both online and offline. Whether you met back in the 70s or met for the first time on twitter, friendship is powerful. Friends now announce their engagements on twitter and facebook. Friends unite to support friends. We cheer on our friends when they are successful. We feel sad for their losses. We send virtual happy birthday messages. We post obituaries online of those we love and will miss. We engage in a dynamic and powerful way, often in 140 characters or less.
Thank you @JeffPulver for bringing meaning to every element of our lives, through education, inspiration and friendship. All of the videos are now available for viewing by clicking on the watch this button on the agenda. I do hope you have the opportunity to view my panel, Experiencing: Love, Dating and Romance in the Real Time Web where we talked about the theme of authenticity. It was a joy to share my stories with you and to hear yours in return.
And now, with permission, the words to Friends, by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
I hope the day will bring a lighter highway
For friends are found on every road
Can you ever think of any better way
For the lost and weary traveler to go?
Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know, you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything’s alright
© 1970 Dick James Music Limited
In 2009, many learned about Twitter for the first time. Some embraced Twitter both personally and professionally. It became a household name. Others ran from Twitter as they either didn’t understand it or thought it would be a fad that would disappear.
Finally, traditional advertising is embracing Twitter. Businesses have huge followings and couples are getting engaged through Twitter marriage proposals.
To be successful on Twitter, you need to spread the Twitter love.
Just how do you spread the Twitter love with someone you have never met “in real life?”
It goes back to the old saying, “In order to have a friend, you must be a friend.” The same holds true for social media and social networking.
Today is #FollowFriday and a perfect day to love one another. Here are a few simple tips to become a rock-star tweeter:
- Follow people back if you find they are interesting.
- Thank people for following you.
- Retweet. The shortened version is to add RT before someone else’s tweet. It’s Twitter’s way of paying it forward.
- Retweet others and they will find you twitter-friendly and return the favor.
- Add simple Retweet buttons to your blog. I use Tweetmeme which is a combination counter and easy button for someone to add your article’s link to their twitter stream.
- If you have an important tweet to share, add “Please RT” before your tweet. The twitterverse loves to help out a friend.
- Remember your friends on Fridays with #FollowFriday or #FF so they can get more followers.
Julie Spira, a talented internet industry vet, is joining Brandloft, the award-winning strategic marketing and branding communications agency, as EVP, Director of Social Media.
According to Brandloft principal, Roger Chiocchi, the move recognizes the importance of social networks in today’s media mix, and strengthens Brandloft’s hand as a player in the emerging online market. Based here, Brandloft is a branding and marketing firm with multinational and regional clients in the B2B and B2C space.
“Julie is an innovator in the field, and one of the first marketing executives to really get on the online bandwagon in the mid-1990s. She’s seen the industry develop and has stayed ahead of the curve,” said Chiocchi.
Based in Los Angeles, Spira will not only head Brandloft’s social media offering but run business development for the firm on the West Coast.
“Running social media out of LA is great for us,” said Chiocchi, “and gives us an added presence on the West Coast, which is known as the hub for digital media.
According to Spira, “Social Media is transforming how marketing communications is applied and how it is delivered. In many respects, it levels the playing field, but to do it effectively takes strategy, insight and vigilant execution. That’s what we’re doing for our clients at Brandloft.”
Spira brings more than 25 years of sales and marketing experience to the firm, and has served as an executive of several start-up Internet and communications companies, including RKO Radio Networks – the first digitally delivered satellite radio network. Spira also held the positions of Vice President, Broadcast Sales of IDB Communications Group, Vice President Sales – Xing Technology – the first online streaming software company, and Executive Vice President at InterPacket Networks – a global provider of high-speed Internet via Satellite which was acquired by American Tower.
Brandloft is an award-winning strategic marketing and branding communications firm helping clients to strengthen their brands, reach and engage audiences in new and innovative ways, and drive revenue. Reach Brandlfoft at 203-857-4141, or online at www.brandloft.com .
PICK MY BRAIN!
CONNECT WITH US!
Julie Spira of Social Media and More made setting up my Facebook page & Twitter accounts a simple matter and a valuable means of maximizing exposure for my various projects. Thanks to Julie’s guidance, I’ve learned the best business practices for building a social media network and remaining up-to-date in this new digital world. Julie is a gem of understanding in this vast, ever-shifting online environment which seems to change second-by-second.
Society News LA
Society News LA